I wanted to get the opinion of my clients on a case I just read about. It involves an employer being sued by an employee for what the employee feels are unfair and illegal working conditions. While the case is still in the preliminary stages, I was asked if another business should continue partnering with this particular corporation or drop them. Remember, these are some of the main facts sworn to under oath by the employee, the business has several locations with both male and female managers, the employee suing the employer is a white female general manager, that employee had to work under the supervision of the business owner’s son, and the business owner was aware of all of these instances and did nothing to correct the working conditions.
- The son of the business owner on a daily basis watched pornography on his computer in the office he shared with the employee/manager and in the back of the store in front of the rest of the staff.
- The son of the business owner said to the employee/manager they needed to fire the whole staff and replace them with Hooters girls.
- African-American staff are required to use the back entrance for all purposes, including picking up their checks and were prohibited from using the front entrance. White staff members were not required to use the back entrance.
- African-American staff are required to use the restroom in the back of the store, but white staff were allowed to use the restroom for customers.
- When the employee/manager hired an African-American employee to work in the front, the son of the business owner demanded that she be transferred to work in the back of the store.
- In front of a vendor for the store, the son of the business owner walked into the employee/manager’s office, slammed the door, and said “I wish I could put all those niggers