It is now year three that we have had the pleasure of our friend’s son Ewan come to stay with us annually for about a week and a half during the summer, and the adventures with the soon-to-be fifteen year old remain fun. In no particular order, here are some of the fun things Ewan experienced on his trip this year:
- Durham Bulls Baseball Games: Ewan was able to see the Durham Bulls take on the Charlotte Knights and the Gwinnett Stripers. He also was happy to get a new Bulls hat and bought his father a Bulls T-shirt
- Meeting Ron Shelton: Before one of the Durham Bulls games, Ewan and I watched the movie Bull Durham. That evening we had the opportunity to attend a Q&A with the Bull Durham director Ron Shelton and get a few autographs.
- Tesla, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, and Styx: This was Ewan’s second concert, and he was actually more interested in seeing Joan Jett than Styx based on listening to Spotify. We started out tailgating with some City Barbeque and Cheerwine, and ended with Styx playing Renegade in their encore. In the end, Ewan agreed that Styx was much better live than on Spotify.
- Goodwill and The Scrap Exchange: One of Ewan’s favorite activities is looking for extreme bargains on used stuff, so he was thrilled to tour various Goodwill shops and the Durham Scrap Exchange.
- Camping: Halfway through his stay, Ewan went camping on Grandfather mountain with a friend of ours. While he enjoyed the hiking and camping, he was a little confused being woken up by our friend in a Tyrannosaurus Rex outfit.
- Busch Gardens: On the way back to returning Ewan to his family, we made a two day stop in Williamsburg, Virginia with the first day being at Busch Gardens and riding roller coasters. I did do one roller coaster while Kathy took Ewan on many others. However, I did get Ewan good on the Bumper Cars.
- Colonial Williamsburg: The last full day in town we took Ewan to Colonial Williamsburg and had a great time visiting the blacksmith, the coffee house, and many other points of interest. He also was interested in seeing the “imported” breed of sheep closely related to those in the colony during the 1760s.
- Bethany Beach: The last day we ended up at Bethany Beach in Delaware for part of the day before his family arrived for their vacation week. It was great to wind down, enjoy the “overcast” sun and sand, and then enjoy some great food with Ewan’s brother, parents, and grandparents before heading home.
In all, it was a great time for all of us, and we’re looking forward to next year when Ewan and possibly his brother Duncan may join us again for some further adventures.